Applied some coats of paint and this is the result. Not perfect, but definately good enough for this low budget ATM telescope. I tried to copy the Explore Scientific colour scheme so now it’s a Explore Amateuristic of sorts.
Somewhere in the following two weeks I will mount the mirror cell w/primary mirror, the secondairy mirror, a Telrad finder and I’m going to flock the OTA with velvet (the kind that sticks). I will also redo the holder for the OTA because I mounted it a wee bit er… badly? and now the OTA is in off-centre. Easy to fix though, so no worries.
The mirror itself is ancient and made out of heavy, thick glass.
The mirror coating itself is a case of death by european swallow poop. It will get a nice new coat later this year but it does actually function like this.
The mirror cell is unlike anything I have ever seen. It also defies any logic: the glass of the mirror is held by three screws and can’t move. So it will deform quite a bit as the temperature changes during the night. The aluminium plate serves no purpose. The 3 screws are used to raise either of three sides of the mirror. So it’s a very basic mirror cell. Or crappy. I’m not sure yet. ^_^
For focusing an old Meade LXD75 focuser will be used. It surely isn’t the quality I’m used to (e.g. Moonlite, Jimi’s) but it’s good enough for now. I did mod it a bit by putting velvet inside the focuser tube. It was too shiny to my liking. And I don’t like reflections.
The 5cm secondairy mirror is mounted on a Destiny spider vane. I’ll still have to make the sides and rear black. And later on dew protection will be added.
ATM Part 3 will be me visiting Bert B. and mounting all of the mirrors and stuff in and on the OTA. Then the OTA will receive a final coat of paint. The rest of the stuff then will be minor additions which I can easily do whenever I find some time.